Hermon Community School Campaign
The primary school for the villages of Hermon, Glogue & Llanfyrnach
Dear Cabinet Member
I write to express my complete opposition to the proposed closure of Ysgol Hermon and the County
Councilís intention to build a large area school in Crymych. The staff, governors and parents of Ysgol
Hermon are unanimous in their opposition to such a development.
This closure is opposed for a variety of reasons and these are summarised in the following points:
Closing a school which is full and thriving is completely unacceptable and an utter disgrace
- Education Standards-The pupils are at present receiving a high standard of education which
meets the requirements of the National Curriculum as the most recent HMI Inspection reported.
- Financial Benefit- There is no financial benefit to be gained in closing the school.
The costs compare most favourably with the countyís average costs.
- Future Enrolment Numbers- Most importantly is the fact that the future of the school
is secure with 52 pupils at present attending the school and 12 pupils in the pre-school and
nursery groups which meet daily on the school campus.
There are many other positive arguments for keeping Ysgol Hermon open.
The parents of Ysgol Hermon are completely supportive of this school which provides a good education for its
pupils within a happy and homely environment. This support is best illustrated in the impressive efforts of
the parents to fundraise annually with over £1300 raised last year in one fundraising event. The whole village
and community work together to ensure success. This support is characteristic of the
villages of Hermon, Glogue & Llanfyrnach and an element which must be envied by many other schools and communities.
There is no justification for closing an effective and successful school which is full to capacity. I cannot
therefore emphasise strongly enough the unanimous opposition of parents, staff and governors of the school as to
the proposed closure of Ysgol Hermon.
- A new housing development is currently underway at present which supports recent trends as to
the growth of the village.
- There are also many exciting developments which involve the proposal of a multi-purpose village hall
spearheaded by Hermonís Millennium Committee. This building would be situated next to the school
enabling the pupils to use its amenities for various activities such as physical education lessons
and social gatherings such as concerts and eisteddfodau. It would also incorporate a car parking
area with entrances and exits away from the main road thus ensuring the safety of the children when
arriving and leaving the school.
- It is also worth noting that Ysgol Hermon prepares school lunches for Glandwr and Clydau Schools as
well as feeding the pupils at Ysgol Hermon.